This list contains all recent PvXwiki news.
April 27, 2013: Wiki migration and user merge
On May 1, the PvXwiki will be migrated to Curse's new Gamepedia platform.
What is the Gamepedia platform?
The "Gamepedia platform" has been designed by Curse's Wiki Platform Team to assist in the management of Curse's wiki network. It allows unified login across the entire Curse network through the netbar at the top of each page. All users are then logged in through the central user database. It also incorporates the Curse footer. These two items help to standardize the look and feel of our wikis with our other properties.
Aside from these front-end items, the Gamepedia platform allows the wiki team easy access to implement MediaWiki extensions as requested by our communities, as well as other basic configuration settings. It also allows our Wiki Platform Team to upgrade MediaWiki software on all the wikis at one time, rather than having to do each one separately. This is a major time saving step. Prior to the development of this platform, it would take up a significant amount of time to upgrade all of our wikis. This kind of mass management is the driving idea behind its development.
How does this affect me?
The most direct affect the migration will have on individual users of PvXwiki will be visible the first time they try to login to the "new and improved" wiki. We have set up a User Merge process that will compare your user information with the main Curse user database and either merge your wiki account with an existing Curse account, or will create a new Curse user account that will then be valid on all Curse.com websites.
The User Merge process
After the migration has been completed, users will be asked to login normally. The system will compare the wiki's user database, and the Curse.com user database.
- If your wiki username and e-mail address match exactly to an existing Curse.com account the two will be merged, and you can continue to edit normally.
- If your e-mail address matches a record in the Curse.com database, but the username is different, the system will use the Curse.com username for the wiki. You will also be granted a one time display name credit to choose a display name that will then appear throughout the wiki (default signatures/recent changes/userpage).
- If your e-mail address does not match any existing account in the Curse.com database, you will be asked for a username. If the username does not match an existing username in the Curse.com database, a new account will be generated.
- If your Username matches, but not the e-mail address on the wiki account, the system renames user on wiki <username001> - you can link to existing Curse account or create a new Curse account. This also grants a display name credit.
- If neither e-mail address or username exist in the Curse.com database, a new curse account is created automatically.
What do I do if I have problems merging my accounts?
If you run into problems merging your account, please email email@example.com as soon as possible and someone will assist you.
January 18, 2013: Closing Time
Activity on the wiki has died down considerably since the release of GW2. We have more vandal and troll edits than we do legitimate edits, and no one seems to be interested in keeping the wiki up-to-date with whatever metagame is left in Guild Wars. I am the only active admin remaining, but I am seeing less and less reason to monitor the wiki daily. With these things in mind, I am proposing a lock on anonymous editing and account creation similar to Guildwiki's.
Please discuss this proposal on our Community Portal. By next Monday, I will be implementing the lock if there are no significant objections. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Toraen (talk • contribs) 22:00, 18 January 2013 (UTC).
December 12, 2011: New Mercenary Category
We are now starting a trial run for a new category of PvE builds: Mercenary! Depending on the success of the category, it may become a permanent addition to our buildspace. If the category goes unused for more than a month after the next Guild Wars game update, it may be removed, so start submitting builds soon if you want to see it stay!
To add a build to the mercenary category, use merc in the build tag INSTEAD of hero. These two categories need to be separate so that people looking for hero builds that don't require mercenaries can do so easily. We expect that this category will largely be team builds, but if you have a single hero build that is normally not viable without more of that profession (like a Ritualist build that normally can't compete for the limited ritualist slots with SoS, SoGM, or ST) feel free to submit it. -- Toraen talk 03:13, 13 December 2011 (UTC)
The mercenary category has been removed. This was due to lack of any builds being vetted for the category, the hard mode update making elementalist heroes more viable, and the addition of the new Ritualist hero with the Winds of Change part 3 update. Builds that require mercenaries may be submitted to PvX provided they clearly state in the name that they are Mercenary builds, but they will not be placed in their own category. Non-mercenary builds still will not be subjected to PvX:WELL as a result of any mercenary build submission. -- Toraen confer 06:49, 14 February 2012 (UTC)
October 3, 2011: Asirra Installed
The captcha module has been changed to Asirra. Accordingly, the restrictions on new user editing have been lifted. Anyone may once again create pages. The abuse filters will remain in place, but if you feel you were blocked by it in error please report it to an administrator so we can prevent future false positives. -- Toraen talk 21:26, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
August 11, 2011: PvX patches
Hey all! We've just had some things deployed that have fixed some of the older outstanding issues with PvX per below:
- PvP Skills
These should now have the correct skill id for templates.Still bugged.
- Skill Icons
- All skills should now have the correct icons. This includes PvP skills without ones to begin with, and PvE sills (such as whirlwind attack) that displayed incorrectly.
We also attempted to fix the RSS feed for Special:RecentChanges but failed (the link will be removed in a subsequent patch)
July 25, 2011: Editing Restrictions
Recently, several Curse.com based wikis have been the targets of spam/vandalism bots. As a stopgap measure, Curse admins removed the abilities to create pages and upload images from users who are not autoconfirmed. The admins of PvX have been discussing more permanent and less restrictive solutions with Curse and hope to be able to resolve this issue soon.
- The Abuse Filter extension has been installed and is in use to block suspicious edits. The filters are mostly provided by the admins of GuildWiki.
- The ConfirmEdit extension needs to be updated, as the current Simple Captcha is no match for modern spambots. ReCaptcha was removed due to being cracked, and thus less effective.
If you are a new user and would still like to submit builds without waiting for the autoconfirmed requirements, create a link to the page you want to make in the community sandbox, and next to it state that you would like another user to create the page for you.