This page is a community project on PvXwiki.
It exists to provide guidance in improving the wiki and all users are encouraged to participate.
This project exists to document the effect of the Flux and determine which builds and strategies are affected (positively or negatively).
A download of all builds significantly affected by the fluxes in the yearly cycle is available here.
As of the April 28, 2011 update, the global PvP effect, Flux, was added. With this, there has been implemented a monthly cycle of passive, environmental effects which affect all players in any PvP arena. As stated in the Developer Notes which came out in parallel with this update,
"The introduction of Flux is a compelling tool to help us keep our competitive formats dynamic, while allowing us to further balance the game. Because slight shifts in the meta are expected from Flux to Flux, it allows us to better target overly problematic builds. If powerful builds can thrive in environments that are not suited to them, we can review the skills to bring them more into line. We want to encourage gameplay where the team that wins does so because they've played more skillfully.".
The effect is Jack of All Trades. If you spec 8-11 ranks into all of your attribute lines that are not rank 0, you gain +15% damage, a 25% reduction in skill activation time and a 20% reduction of energy costs. Note that the 8-11 spec includes any bonuses due to runes. Effects that buff or reduce attributes (like Glyph of Elemental Power and Weakness) have no effect on whether you receive the bonus, as it is determined upon zoning into an instance.
Given the stated nature of this effect, certain attention is due to builds stored here on PvXwiki which may thrive in the Flux, now and as it changes. Below is an overview of strategies and skills which are affected by the current Flux effect.
- Elemenatlists can make up for the lower attribute ranks with Master of Magic/Elemental Attunement.
- Rangers can decrease their Expertise from 14 to 11 (then use those attribute points to spec 8-11 in all their other attributes) and it would not make a difference to the reduction of energy costs usually provided by Expertise, since Expertise 11 with the 20% reduction of energy costs provided by the Flux is equivalent to the reduction of energy costs provided by Expertise 14. In addition, the 20% reduction of energy costs provided by the Flux also affects skills that Expertise does not.
- In August 2012 before the August 12 update, the attribute requirement was 9 in 4 attributes.
- In August 2012 after the August 12 update, the attribute requirement was increased to 10 in 4 attributes.
- In August 2013, the attribute requirement was 8-11 ranks in 4 attributes.
Flux effects in the current yearly cycle
- Odran's Razor: January
- Amateur Hour: February
- Hidden Talent: March
- There Can Be Only One: April
- Meek Shall Inherit: May
- Jack of All Trades: June
- Chain Combo: July
- Xinrae's Revenge: August
- Like a Boss: September
- Minion Apocalypse: October
- All In: November
- Parting Gift: December
Historical flux effects
- Lone Wolf: April 28, 2011 - May 31, 2011
- Unyielding Spirit: June 1, 2011 - June 30, 2011
- Quickening Terrain: August 1, 2011 - August 31, 2011
- Massive Damage: September 1, 2011 - September 30, 2011
- Courier's Haste: December 1, 2011 - December 31, 2011
- Keep Yourself Alive: February 1, 2012 - February 29, 2012
- Hive Mind: April 1, 2012 - April 30, 2012
- Inverse Ninja Law: May 1, 2012 - May 31, 2012
- Bounty Hunter: June 1, 2012 - June 30, 2012